Most nights, I cook a homemade meal for my family of 7 – 2 adults and 5 children. This recipe for Cowboy Grub is a staple in our home! I make it every 3-4 weeks or so.
Pair it with hot homemade cornbread, cheese biscuits, or even salty tortilla chips. It’s delicious!
➡ Click here for all of the Home Cooking Recipe posts.
Cowboy Grub Recipe
This is a very forgiving recipe that can be easily tweaked to your own tastes. Use any type of bean that your family prefers – navy, pinto, kidney, or even black beans.
This recipe is also a winner because it can easily be stretched. Add an extra can of beans and corn if you’d like to stretch the meal even further.
With inflation and the cost of living rising higher by the day, these types of meals become even more important as we stretch our dollars as much as we can.
We often eat this one-pot meal with a hot pan of cornbread, homemade cheese biscuits, or salty tortilla chips.
Cowboy Grub – Chicken, Beans, Tomatoes, and Rice
- 2 pounds Cooked, diced chicken
- 1 28-ounce can Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 14.5-ounce can White corn, drained
- 2 14.5-ounce cans Navy beans, drained
- 2 cups Cooked brown rice OR use 2 cups Minute brown rice and 2 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons Cumin
- ¾-1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a large pot.
- Heat on low-medium heat for 45 minutes-1 hour. It will be heated through and the minute rice should be soft when it is ready. Mixture will be thick.
- Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream on the side.