I’m curious. How often do you wash towels?
I seem to wash 2 loads about every 10 days or so. I’d love to only wash one load a week. However, with our bath towels, kitchen towels, and wash cloths it seems I’m washing more and more towels.
Maybe this is just the way it is with a family of six? Or maybe it is the nature of children getting older? Or maybe it is because I generate a lot of kitchen towels since I cook so often?
I’d love to hear your thoughts on towel washing. Feel free to leave a comment telling me all about how often you wash towels or what your best tips are.
Update on Washing Towels Each Week
Update: November 30, 2019
I wrote this post 8 years ago when I had only four children, and they were all very little! ::sniff, sniff::
I find it interesting that I only washed 2 loads of towels every 10 days. Compared to now, that was a breeze!
I now wash three loads of towels a week.
Why do I wash more towels now?
Why the increase in towels for our family? I can think of several reasons that contribute to my increased towel washing as the laundress of our family.
- We added another child to our family. As of right now, my kiddos are 14, 12, 10, just turned 9, and 2 1/2. More people just means more towels.
- My children are older. My children just naturally go through more towels the older they get. They bathe more often in general, and my girls use a towel for their hair and a body towel.
- Towels are more accessible. We moved into a new home a year ago because we had outgrown our original home. With this lovely new house, we gained linen closets near each of our bathrooms, so towels are much more accessible.
In our previous home, we had no linen closets (!) so towels were more tucked away in our laundry room and more difficult to access.
- I cook most of our meals at home. When my children were younger, we ate out a few times a week. Now we eat almost all of our meals at home, and I cook a vast majority of breakfast and lunch, including a homemade dinner each night.
Lots of cooking = lots of dishtowels
What will my towel washing frequency look like in 8 more years? My kiddos will be 22, 20, 18, 16, and 10. That’s interesting to think about!
More on Washing Towels
I’ve written many posts on caring for and washing towels. If you need towel help, here’s where to look:
- Preventing Smelly Towels – How to prevent smelly towels once and for all
- Does My Washer Make My Towels Smell Soured? – A reader questions if it is her washing machine causing her towels to smell like mildew
- How to Revive Smelly Towels – Have towels that smell horrible, even when clean? Here’s how to fix them.
- Should You Wash Clothes with Towels & Sheets? – 3 reasons why you should not wash your clothes with towels & sheets
- How to Fold Bath Towels
- How to Fold Towels in French-Fold Style